Taavetti Fortress 5.8.2007
results of the Russo-Swedish War 1741-43 Swedish southeast border was moved to
west, as far as Kymijoki River. Most of the important sea fortresses of the
Baltic Sea, Hamina, Vyborg, Tallinn and Narva were now in the hands of Russia.
Also some inland fortresses, such as Lappeenranta, Käkisalmi and Savonlinna,
were now owned by Russia.
Russia started to strengthen the new border by continuing to build fortresses started by the Swedes in Lappeenranta and Hamina. The most important new fortress was Taavetti.
In the first building period (1773-81) a French style bastion fortress was built in Taavetti. After the Russo-Swedish War of 1788–90, Russia made the decision to strengthen the Swedish border even more. One of the effects of that plan was the second building period of Taavetti fortress. As a result of the second period, the fortress was enlarged by adding four ravelins, the moats were paved in rocks and a citadel was built on the north side of the fortress.
However, the active period of the fortress remained short; the maintenance and renovation of the fortress was stopped in 1803.