The Orava Castle 29.10.2007
The Orava castle is one of the most significant monuments of castle building craft in Slovakia. The Orava Castle towers rise 112 meters over the sea level.
The present area of the castle complex was built gradually from the 13th century until the beginning of the 20th century. Each part is an evidence of various architectonical styles – from Romanic through Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque until Romanticism.
The first historical mention dates back to 1267, when the castle was fulfilling three basic functions: protective, guardian and a seat of administration.
In the 15th century, the castle became the property of the King Matiáš Korvín, who took several measures to improve security of the castle and the area of Orava. During the period from 1556 to 1621, the castle was gradually rebuilt and fortified by Turzo family. However, in 1800 the castle was stricken by the greatest disaster – it was destroyed by fire and remained in ruins. František Ziči did some rescue work and in 1906-1912, the middle part was reconstructed by Jozef Pálfy. Total reconstruction of castle took place from year 1953 to 1968.